The main objectives of the Will&Do Foundation can be summarized in two points:
- In South Africa we wish to contribute to the struggle against HIV and AIDS. Thereby we mainly focus on disadvantaged children and young adults.
- In The Netherlands we want to increase the awareness and involvement with regard to the effect that HIV and AIDS have on a continent like Africa. And WILL&DO wants to do something about that in South Africa.
Since 2011 we have focused our activities on the area around Coffeebay in The Transkei. This remote rural area is traditionally the homeland of the Xhosa. Many of the traditions of the tribal culture are still in use, whereas the influences of modern life are also noticeable.
The cultural history makes it a challenge to work in this area. Projects have to be supported by the community in accordance with the local culture. The approach here is different from in a town.
- There is a lot of malnutrition, children often do not get more than one fish or meat meal a month.
- Access to medical care is limited while the number of HIV-infections is alarmingly high.
- Consequently orphaned children are often raised by grandparents, relatives or neighbors.
By specializing ourselves in this area, our small foundation can effectively turn Willing into Doing (Will&Do).